Monday, May 19, 2008

Famous Idaho Potato Race

Yeah...I did it! Never thought in a million years would I ever attempt to run....anywhere! Honestly I thought people were crazy who enjoyed running. But thanks to my good friend and neighbor Lindsie McDaniel, I think I might have gotten into the groove! Lindsie had been training for a 1/2 marathon for the past several months. Then just a few weeks ago I finally got the courage to go out and run with her on her "short" runs. I started out with 3 miles and only ever ran 4 1/2. Then the night before the 1/2 marathon Lindsie talked me into doing the 10k of the same race. (6 miles) So we drove to the downtown park and registered 15 minutes before they closed the registration! I got my number and timing anklet and was set to go! I was so pumped that I did it and it felt so good at the finish line. Actually to be quite honest, I was a little angry at the world because I was so tired but once I got a cold drink of water and a little shade I was so excited. I was able to run it without ever stopping which was a big accomplishment for me! I think I finished at 1:07 which isn't too terribly fast but I was ok with it because I was just focusing on finishing without stopping!



Me, Cathy Mckasson (a friend from my ward), Emilie Bird who would also run with us in the morning and Lindsie.

Yes, it was really called "The Famous Idaho Potato Marathon" and yes they really served baked potatoes at the finish line. What???

7 comments:

Nicole said...

Dude...so proud of you. I am cheering you on from the couch with a diet coke in hand. You are amazing!

Miranda said...

Way to go Idaho! Seriously I am so proud of you! I will someday run a 1/2 marathon... Someday! That is if I ever get away from this dang computer and hit the pavement! I wonder if they have blogging marathons?

Ruth said...

I can't think of anything more refreshing than a potato after a half marathon. Bravo to you.

Katie Schultz said...

Wow, I am so proud of you, a 10K is pretty intense, I have only ran a 10K once and I threw up 50 meters from the finish line. Idaho is so silly, don't they know after you finish a race you want oranges and sports drinks not baked potatoes. Haha

The Grantham Family said...

Way to go girl! You are my inspiration. I think this 5K is going to kick my butt which is soooo pathetic. Thanks for motivating me to get my run on!

Shaun & April said...

Thats awesome. Now you'll want to keep doing them. I am only up to 3.5 miles... With all my surgeries etc, It has been since Omaha that I have tried running. Slow and steady wins the race...

Christy said...

ya, i know lots of people who say "i did it cuz it was on my list of things to do before I die." I told them, ya, it'll never be on mine. But I admire those who do it! go amber!