Saturday, August 23, 2008

Porter's Scare!

Please Read this entry! I know often times looking at blogs gets overwhelming so many times we opt not to read what is written but for my sake, please please read this!
Yesterday afternoon I took my kids and my sisters kids swimming at a friends subdivision pool. My Sister Heather and Brother Harrison were there with me also. We were having a great time and about ready to leave. I decided to get in the pool with the 2 older kids before we left. Porter fell into the Jacuzzi and my brother Harrison saw him struggling and ran over to pull him out. But when he pulled him out he was purple, throwing up and not breathing. I immediately freaked out and couldn't think of what to do. I was just so emotional and overwhelmed that I couldn't make rational decisions. Seeing him lying there lifeless was killing me and controlling my thoughts. Luckily things turned out well. Luckily there were 3 moms that were there that happened to be nurses. They immediately helped my brother and I perform CPR. Luckily porter finally took a breath after several tries of breathing and chest compressions. He threw up all the water and his color quickly came back. My sister called 911 and they got there within a few minutes. They took him to St. Jude emergency room in the ambulance and then transferred him to Childrens hospital in Orange County. They watched his vital signs over night and everything just kept going great! It was definitely the scariest thing I have ever experienced. It was so traumatic and I strongly feel that there is a lesson to be learned. Many have asked what they can do to help and all I ask is to please pass on this information to every mother you know! NEVER PUT A FLOATING DEVICE ON YOUR CHILD! Porter is in his 4th week of swimming lessons and knows enough for survival. His swim teacher called me last night and told me he couldn't believe it when he heard it because Porter knows how to swim and was doing awesome in his class! Instead of holding him evenly out of the water, the floatie made him top heavy. Once Porters weight was forward, the floatie kept his face down and would not allow him to get his feet back underneath him to hold his head out of the water. This is what makes them so dangerous.
Please also look into taking a CPR class. It was so crucial in porters situation that the women there knew what they were doing. But what if they weren't there and I was alone. I knew enough from girls camp and enrichment nights but it was such a wake up call that I need to be prepared! All of us do! Even the Nurses knowledge was clouded by the situation. They later realized the many mistakes they made and luckily they didn't effect the outcome. When water is involved never take your eyes off your children, even for a second. Always be within arms reach! Many of you might be thinking "Duh" but seriously we all do it!
I also know that Prayer truly works. In the midst of my screaming and crying I took a deep breath and said a heartfelt prayer. I know that Heavenly Father heard me. Then shortly after Porter took his breath. Its amazing to me how awesome he is doing! We worried for awhile about how long he had been without oxygen and if they would have any repercusions on his physical or mental ability. We just had to wait. Slowly he was starting to say a few words and even laughing and giggling. We knew he was going to be ok when we took him to the childrens toy room and set him down to walk. He picked up a ball and and went shoot it in the basket, missed and said "dangit!" He has been so sweet and so cute today and I appreciate every move he makes. Everytime I look at him I am so thankful I was given a second chance. Hug your children tonight and please learn from me so you don't have to go through this awful scare!

This is the type of floatie porter had been wearing! The first picture above was taken the day of the accident. I bought the most expensive, name brand speedo, tight fit, correct weight requirement device at the store! I didnt leave him alone thinking it was safe, I knew it wouldn't save his life, I just was using it as an extra precaution. It didn't work and made the situation even worse. The swim teacher told me the problem with them is they give children and parents a false sense of securtiy! Its true and I hate that I had to learn the hard way!

36 comments:

Simcah Reid said...

That is so sacry. I am so sorry you had to go through that. I've never been a good swimmer so that's one of my biggest fears. Glad he's okay. He's so sweet.

Brynn said...

Ah man! I can't even imagine going through that. Thank you for sharing. I'm so glad he's doing well. And that you are okay.

Heather and James Georgianna said...

I'm so glad you posted this. I know it was really hard for you to write but it will greatly benefit many lives! I'm sad that we had to go through this but I know You, Harrison and I all came out a little stronger. I love you alot!

Jamie Parke said...

Hey Amber, I have been keeping up with your like linking through Nicole's blog. I appreciate you posting this and sharing your advice. It makes me sick to think of having to go through an experience like that. We have had to pull my 2 year old out of the water many times when he was under including a small pool in the backyard with about a foot of water that he could stand up in, but didn't once he went under.

I am so grateful to hear that you are all well and things are looking so good with Porter. I definitely need to freshen up on my CPR skills. Thanks for the reminder!

Shaun & April said...

So sorry for your week. We too, had a crazy week that made us appreciate even the little moments and to realized that life can never be taken for granted. Thanks for the post. We'll keep Porter in our prayers.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad everything turned out OK for you guys. Thanks for sharing this with everyone - it just reminds me that I do need a refresher course on CPR myself. Hope Porter's doing OK!

whitneyingram said...

This got me all choked up. I am so glad you and your family are okay. This is every mom's worst fear. I am so glad all is well.

The Grantham Family said...

Amber

I am seriously shaking right now. What a scare. I cannot imagine how I would have reacted. I am impressed that you were so on the ball and able to perform CPR. That is amazing! We are all guilty of feeling at ease with the floaties...

So funny that you posted on this because I was just thinking that I needed to get one of these for Dalan. He is CRAZY and jumps in with absolutely no fear...oh how I wish he had a little! Thanks so much for the info and dang I wish I could see little Porter. Give him hugs for us and we will keep your family in our prayers! Love and miss your face so much....

Nicole said...

So scary! I had tried to find Oliver some kind of floatie all summer but nothing would keep his head out of the water. Its really scary how fast they can get hurt. I am glad Porter is ok and so sorry for your scare!

Unknown said...

So sorry that happened! We are so glad he is doing well and will keep him in our prayers.

e said...

So scary, and I'm just glad the outcome was positive. Thank you for sharing -- I plan to relay your story to the moms I know who use those rings.

Amelia . Lyon said...

Amber, seriously, I am so thankful that Porter is alright and even more thankful that your made this post! I was just telling my husband that if I am ever at a pool and see a child wearing one of those floating bathing suits that I'm not going to keep my mouth shut, I'm going to find the parent and tell them about what happened to Porter. I completely believe in the power of prayer and am so relieved that Porter is doing well and is alive! I love you cousin and I love your little family too! We'll keep you in our prayers through out Porter's recover! So glad to have you down the street too!

LAURA and ELIZA said...

Oh SCARY Amber! I can't even imagine how that must have felt. I'm so glad Porter is ok. You're a great mom!

Mrs. Little Gray House said...

I am so sorry that happened. I would be terrified! I am so glad that you were able to do CPR and that he doesn't have any permanent injuries. As a former swim teacher I have to agree that flotation devices are so dangerous for kids -esp the armband floaties. But I actually have the floatie suit that you had for my girls too. Its going in the trash today.

Jolyn Buhrley said...

I always thought those were the best ones to use!! I would never have guessed that's what Port was wearing. I am so sorry....I feel sick just thinking about it. I am so proud of you Amber. You never know how you will react in a moment like that. Freak-out a little, sure! You ALSO preformed CPR on your baby. Way to go mom. All in a days work!:) Thank you for sharing.( i will pass it on, and rip off any of those i see on a child.) We love and miss you all!!!!!!!! jolyn

M Rock said...

Well put Amber. As a pool builder and Porter's Uncle, this is very hard news to hear. And though I'm under the belief system that having a backyard pool is the best way to teach your kids how to manage themselves around water, there still can't be too many safety devices. And of course like you said, the watchful eye of a parent being the best devise. Thanks for your words as they are a great reminder on how to educate my own customers.

Alli said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your scare. And thanks for sharing your info on the floating devices. That is good for everyone to know. I completely agree with the idea of CPR certification. I need to renew mine because I've been feeling lately that I would need to use it sometime. I think it's a good idea for any parent who plans on taking their children near water, whether a pool, lake or beach to certify. The best place to do that is through the American Red Cross and it's not costly either.

Ciera said...

I'm so glad Porter was ok! That was such a scary story! Its so hard when its your own child in danger even when you do know what to do. You were so blessed to have nurses and family there to help! I'm so thankful he was all right. Ashelynn had a suit like that when she was little and I still have it. I'll throw it away today.

Georgia said...

I am Ruth friend. I am so thankful this turned out ok. I am forwarding to all the young moms & dads that I know. Thanks for sharing your story.

The McCullough Crew said...

I am Ruth's niece. Thank you for sharing the information. I actually have a suit like that but we haven't used it yet because our daughter is too little. It is out in the trash now because of your story.

I have another friend who had a similar thing happen to her, only no floaties but it was in the hot tub. I don't know if the jets were on in your situation but they were in hers and the child wasn't strong enough to swim with the current.

It is so hard to lose a child and I am glad that you didn't have to experience that. If you have time but friend's sister just lost her little one and she needs some love and prayers. http://www.thelarsenfiles.blogspot.com/

The McCullough Crew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The McCullough Crew said...

Add to my post...

my friend's child did survive the hot tub. And the link is to my friend's sister who's son died from a fever.

Anonymous said...

wow amber...how scary! i am so sorry you had to go through that but i am so thankful evrything turned out ok. hang in there, thanks for sharing.

Brizzee said...

Oh my gosh Amber. Isn't that the worst fear as a parent. I know I would freak out. Dave is always telling me I over react in an emergency and I need to calm down. I am so sorry you had to go through that but so thankful everything turned out okay. Thinking of your ordeal made me want to cry. You always pray nothing like that ever happens to you. It is always a good thing to be reminded how precious life is and how fast something can happen. Hope everything is well.

Beth said...

I am so greatful that Porter is alright. I wish I was there with you when this happened. With an extra set of eyes maybe it could of been avoided. Plus I could helped with the other kids or something...I was going to go swimmimg with Ruth's boys about an hour later. I think I feel a little guilty because it was my pool that it happened in. (I know feeling that way is silly) I am just so greatful for the power of prayer, you know you had many praying with you for a full recovery. You have a special little boy and I can't help but wonder what God has planned for him because he did have angels watching out for him that day!

Christy said...

You should make a complaint with the company. This is horrible!

The Andersons said...

Amber... I am sitting here crying! I am so glad that things turned out okay. Thank you so much for sharing this. We bought one of these for our son this year so it is so good to know.
-Kellie Anderson

The Andersons said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miranda said...

Your story shook me up so much! I am so glad everything is allright. How scary for all you to go through! We had a small scare with Livi in the pool this summer, but nothing like that! It just happens so fast. Thank you so much for posting your story, we all need a reminder of how quick life could change. Hope all is well! On a lighter note let us know when Eliza is on Yo Gabba Gabba! That is so fun! I made the mistake and told Livi, so I get asked daily is she on today! We miss you guys!
Miranda

Mark and/or Lisa said...

That's really scary Amber. Glad everything is OK. I talked with Lis about this last night so thanks for the heads-up.

Josh, Lindsie, and Ava said...

Amber,
I am just completely sick to my stomach! I am so glad that it ended so well and what a lesson for all of us. I was just talking to Josh the other day about signing us up for a child cpr class. I am definitely not procrastinating on that anymore. Not to mention, I have looked at those little floaties more than once this summer for Ava and am so glad I never got one.

What a scary time and I am so glad that everything worked out the way it did, I think this is more proof that you just need to move back to BOise, I don't know why it is, but trust me it is.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amber,
Thank you for writing this story. First of all, I want to say that I am so glad Porter is doing well. My name is Cerese, one of the girls who save Porter's life. I'm the one who gave you a hug after that frightening ordeal. Many times I had flashbacks of what had happened and many times wondered how your son was doing. It's a true testament that God was at our side. I truly believe that that day, God put me there for a reason. Just a couple weeks prior, I e-mailed my brother, who lives in that community, when was he going to invite us to go swimming. And so that day, it turned out was a day I know I'll never forget. Yes, in your story there are many lessons to be learned all around. I hope if anything people will be inspired by your story and also realized that life is too short and we should embrace it. I'm glad everything turned out the way it did and that Porter is still here so you can watch him grow up. He is our future!!! God bless you and your family.

Tyree Judd said...

Amber! Holy freaking crap! Im so sorry that happened to you! So glad that Porter is fine and thank you so much for posting this! It is such a vital reminder and hits way to close to home! Hope you are holding up ok... cant imagine how traumatizing that must have been. Your amazing for sharing this and hang in there!
Love-Tyree

Kimberli said...

I'm sure this was the scare of your life! What a frightening experience...I'm glad everything is okay.

Shelley Nicole said...

Hey Amber, it was good to see you for a few seconds on Sunday! I skimmed this because Carrie told me the story sunday afternoon, but I'm so glad Porter is okay and I sure wish I knew your cute kids better!

Anonymous said...

A friend of my friend posted this link on her blog. I have taught CPR AND swim lessons for years. Sorry but if you were watching your child this would never have happened. Blaming a swimsuit is just way to make yourself feel better. Using a flotation device is not harmful for the child it's the PARENTS who need to not take false security from it. You MUST watch your children. I have my children in my classes use vest until they pass our swim test. Please do some research and don't pass our false information.
Again watch your children in any kind of water.