Monday, June 15, 2009

Another Retreat Getaway

So I think I pretty much have the worlds best husband! Who let's their wife go on 2 weekends away in a row, guilt free? Yep, mine did! It just happened that my big family girls retreat landed the week after my roommate retreat in the same city. Crazy huh! I didn't want to have to pick between the 2 so I asked Matt if that could be my mothers day present. He was so great to have a good attitude the whole time and had a fun time with the kids. He never complained or made me feel bad about leaving! It made the trip way more enjoyable and relaxing.

Every year they have a theme and this year it was "Life is too short, Eat Dessert first!" It was sort of a tribute year to my Aunt Carol Joy who passed away suddenly 22 years ago. We realized how little we all really knew about her and how amazing she is. It was such a neat, spiritual weekend and I felt so uplifted when I went home. Each year they plan classes to go to and this year they themed it around "Life is too short...." So one class was "....take more pictures" and we learned about our camera and how we can take better pictures. Another was "...wash your hair less" and she gave tips on different ways to style your hair so you don't have to wash it everyday. Then we made cute hair accesories out of zippers. (you can see many of us wearing them in some of the pictures.) There was also a class on parenting and marriage which was really nice. They talked about how carefree and fun my Aunt Carol Joy was and it was encouraging to realize that life really is too short and that I need to stop worrying about small things in life that don't matter and to focus more on the things that do matter like my children, husband and family. Just like she did!




There was also plenty of free time where we could shop, sit by the pool, take a nap or do whatever we felt like! It was so nice! I was sad that non of my sister could make it except for heather who drove up Late saturday night and then it ended on monday morning.



(My cousin Melissa and I. We were best friends growing up! It was fun to be able to room with her and spend time with her. We usually stay with our sisters but non of hers came either!)

The last night we did something alittle different then we normally do since our group was smaller then usual. We decided to go out to Sushi! Because the group is usually so big its almost impossible to all eat out at the same restaurant unless it is a buffet or fast food. It was so nice and the food was really good. I am not a big Sushi person, but I was quite surprised at how yummy it was for being in Mesquite, NV.

4 comments:

The Buhrley Bunch said...

Amber, I'm JEALOUS!! What a great weekend to spend with family. I love the idea about classes and adding meaning to a get-together. It looks like an awesome time. I'm so glad you got to go. You deserve a little pampering :)

Kimberli said...

What a fun weekend! Isn't family great?!? Its cool that they have little mini-classes... what a great idea.

Shelley Nicole said...

I remember like...a lot of your extended family :) It's fun to see pictures, glad you were able to go and have fun!

sammysangel said...

looks like you had fun amber! im jealous