Friday, June 18, 2010

Yeah....I did it!




And possibly never again! But I did it, I ran a half marathon!! And....it was the hardest thing I have ever done. Seriously, so hard! The last 2 miles I about died. (You can probably tell just by how I look in the pictures!) The only thing that got me through it was knowing my kids, husband, parents and in laws were waiting at the finish line ready to cheer me on. I knew I wasn't going to walk across the finish line.


My friend Brynn and I decided to start running a few months ago. We ran before we both got pregnant a year or so ago and then had to stop. We started up again in January for excersize and to hopefully lose a little weight without having to pay a gym membership. Then we decided we needed a goal or else we would never get out of bed and would just keep giving excuses. So we chose a date for a half marathon and figured out a training schedule. Then one by one a few friends decided to train with us and soon enough we had 5 people running! It was so fun and I loved getting to know these girls each better.


The race itself was awesome. The course itself wasn't too difficult and it was a beautiful day along the Marina in Long beach. The big bummer was the planning and organizing of the race. IT WAS HORRIBLE! Just see what we had for our starting line. Yes, they really wrote START in chalk on the side walk. Then counted backwards from 10 and all 30 of us took off! Uh 30? Yep 30 people. Like I said it was pretty bad. I liked to use the word Ghetto to describe it. It really fits. AMAZING! I said "possibly" never do again because I felt let down by the race itself. No crowd to cheer you on and no real excitement. I felt like it was just another really long run. So "maybe" one day I will do another one and make sure it is a well thought out good race! Even Porter was crying after I finished because he kept saying "you didn't run a race mom!" I think in his mind he imagined me crossing a huge finish line with lots of people and lots of runners. You and me both Porter!

Oh.....and I may or may not have peed my pants at mile 10!

12 comments:

Ruth said...

I love the pic of you keeled over next to porter, classic. You know he was imagining the LA marathon. You did it though and i am proud/ jealous of you. Even if you are loosey goosey now.

Josh, Lindsie, and Ava said...

Oh Man!I am laughing so hard right now! Start line in sidewalk chalk!WTF! You're doing another one when you move back and its going to be for real. Great job though. Baby come back!

Nan said...

You know I think you are amazing! great job. I just keep thinking one of your pant legs is pulled up and one is down with your leg brace thingy. Stylin!

Emily Rosell said...

the last bit was my favorite...peeing the pants, classic.

thanks for letting me join the runner's club for a bit. may we never run that far again. :)

The Manzo's said...

OH my gosh!!! I'm laughing so hard right, peeing your pants! You're so funny Amber! You and Brynn are amazing, great job!

Melissa said...

Ghetto race?! So funny! What was your entrance fee since they had to buy sidewalk chalk and all?

That's so awesome though! Way to go!!! I always say you're not a true runner until you've peed yourself during a race. I may or may not have as well.

Mindy Stephenson said...

Great Job! Sounds like a lot of hard work and fun.

Jolyn Buhrley said...

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!! I feel so bad that you paid the price, DID it, BUT...didn't get the thrill of doing a race. You have to do it again!!!:) BUT this time pick a different race....hmmmmm, I might know the perfect one!!!!!! I definetly will remember you wrote "maybe" you'll do another one! Seriously, I am so proud of you!! LOVE the pictures. I felt your pain!!!!

The Grantham Family said...

Thank you for the complete storyline with pictures to back up your words. You really do look "official" even if the start barely has an arrow and it is written in yellow chalk. Atleast use a bolder color eh' WOW! I am impressed by you. You are one that just puts your mind to something and goes for it...which I really respect! Way to go girl and look at that medal:) Woot Woot!!

heather said...

that's awesome. when i run 3 miles on the treadmill, i'm totally done by the end, so i don't know how you did it. if i'm not pregnant, and if there's a next time, i want to run with you

Brynn said...

And I may or may not have seen you drop your pants, lay down & finish peeing in the woodchipped planter. HA!!!!! Classic!!!!! The memory still makes me laugh really hard!!!!!

Mark and/or Lisa said...

L freakin OL. I totally love how you totally worked so hard for 6 months and then the race was so totally ghetto. That freaking chalk start line is waaaay too much!!!