Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Whiting Reunion

Every 2 years my family goes to a Reunion in Arizona. It is held on our families homestead. This isn't a typical family reunion. This is 650 people, acres of land, endless activities, hiking, camping, just an over all good time! I was so happy we could make it this year. I went 2 years ago without Matt. It was so much more fun to share it with him since this was his first chance he could go! We had such a great time as the pictures show...

Porter loved hanging with his boy cousins, getting dirty, finding big sticks, going on the rope swing, hiking, and getting dirty. Yes, Eliza caught a horny toad! All the boys were so jealous!


They had so many fun things planned for the kids. They connected it with things my ancestors did on the homestead. Like washing clothes the old fashion way, making honey and butter, shaving, wrags in their hair for curls, learning how to weave wool, and many more. It was all planned out so well and the kids had so much fun running around doing it all...several times! One of the activities was to dress up in the old fashioned clothes and get your picture taken. We had fun being silly and dressing up. Porter and Eliza sure got a kick out of Lily and her cute outfit.









Then we hiked to a little lake where we went fishing for Crawdads. When I say fishing, I mean tie a rope to a stick and tie some hamburger meat to the end of the rope! Eliza was the first to catch one and loved that she could do it. Just wanted nothing to do with it after she caught it. She really couldn't wait until we let it go back in the water.






Yes there is a Tarantula in that Jar. Yikes!


One night my dad decided to make grilled cheese on his nifty little wood stump stove. It was pretty hilarious because he just kept making them. People were coming by asking for one. I think he ended up making like 60 that night. Once his stump burned he moved inside his Trailer and kept going! He cracks me up. Love this guy!







Our Whiting Homestead is in the mountains of Arizona so it isn't hot. It was actually kind of cold. My great great grandfather homesteaded the land years ago. I loved going to these reunions and I am so glad my kids got the chance too. It is a beautiful place with a definite spirit about it. Its so nice to get away from the world for a few days and just be with family, learning about your heritage.

8 comments:

Sunny said...

This looks so fun! What a great family gathering. Where in Arizona is this? It’s beautiful!

Wendy Buhrley said...

What a great time! Love all the pictures!!! Oh I am so sad that our timing didn't work out better for you visit us when you were so close! We are still looking at the possibility of coming over Labor Day weekend. Do you guys have any plans?

Jolyn Buhrley said...

It's crazy for me to see your post title...since I grew up a Whiting!! We really should join you next time, it looks like a great reunion. Who does all the organizing? Loved all the pictures...although my older kids get sooooo mad when they look at your posts. It ticks them off that your kids are older then when you lived here! AND it didn't help seeing Eliza all made up for her dance recital! (she looked beautiful, old...but so beautiful.)Just make sure Lily is still a baby when you move back next month!!!! She is the cutest baby ever. WE LOVE YOU ALL!!

Jolyn Buhrley said...

p.s. Lou just came in and looked at the pictues...we realized that Lily looks soooo much like Mandi did as a baby!! Some of the pictures, I would swear they were Mandi! And Eliza's eyes are alot like Mandi's too, such a pretty color. Anyway...it was fun to see the similarities! You have beautiful kids...ha,ha. :)

xoe villa said...

That is SO cute!! It looks like you had a really fun time. The kids look SO cute in the old fashioned clothes. It looks like Eliza is really getting into her work in one of the pictures. I miss you so much and I can't wait to come and visit sometime. Tell Eliza and Porter that I miss them and love them!!

Unknown said...

our website my sources you can try this out helpful hints more info here browse around this site

Unknown said...

find here louis vuitton replica bags neverfull click for more info 7a replica bags wholesale Balenciaga Dolabuy replica bags pakistan

teasi said...

t2j71y5p16 m1v21j8s59 c6o21s9c62 l9f65h9a40 j3w19a5q67 h5j33g4w22